Environmental degradation during these present days has become a Global Issue. Degradation of Forest, Extinction of Wild Animals, diminishing Biological diversity and Raise of Temperature are the acute problems and the vital cause of Environmental degradation. It is a broad concept which includes pollution of various biological and physical components of the planet as a result of which the entire world is going to be destroyed.
In this juncture, we have thought it wise and gainful to work on the endangered species and trying for acceleration and Restoration of Forest Landscape, Conservation of Nature, Biodiversity, Control of Pollution, Restoration of Environment and Climate Change. On the other hand, the lives of all Wild Animals like Tigers, Elephants, Bears, Deer, Monkeys and Wild Bores can be saved. All the village Forests are being developed which will generate fresh Air, clean Water and create a congenial atmosphere for the lives of all. Hence, vigorous awareness campaigns with appropriate actions are being taken in a regular manner on Restoration of Forest, protection of Environment and conservation of Biodiversity.
ARASMIN is an active member of the “Wildlife Institute of India and as such we are trying our level best to protect the Wild Animals, Wild Birds and migrated Birds so as to avoid different type of Natural Calamities, en-hazards and different diseases like Cancer, Asthma and Tuberculosis etc in order to accelerate the human life-cycle. A regular awareness program is being conducted to stop Tiger poaching, Deer poaching and hunting of different Animals and Birds. We are also getting much more support from the Officers and Staff of the Forest Department of the Government of Orissa. In view of the above phenomenon, some of the activities undertaken by us are mentioned hereunder:
1. We have formed Forest and Wildlife Protection Committees in 360 villages in our Area of operation and Quick Response Teams to catch the Poachers and Hunters and having regular interactions with the stakeholders periodically to protect the Forest, Environment and wildlife.
2. Awareness campaigns are being done for restoration of Forests and not to fire the forests during summer season in order to save the carnivorous animals, insects, herbal plants and sprouts so as to promote the lively-hoods of all creatures.
3. Special attention and awareness programmes are being done at the Elephant Corridors and Tiger Habitats in Kalahandi District, Bolangir District and Kandhamal District to save the lives of the Elephants, Tigers and Leopards.
4. Awareness campaigns are being conducted on the value of Forests, Environment and Wild animals and how to protect them from the endangered situations with cultural links. Special attention is being given on the Tiger Conservation and Elephant Conservation at the new habitat created by them in Urladani GP of M.Rampur Block of Kalahandi District.
5. Counseling is being done at some places on Human-Animal conflicts in collaboration with the Forest Officers of Government of Odisha and a number of people have taken the benefits of the same.
6. Intensive awareness programmes are being done covering a number of villages of Kalahandi, Bolangir and Kandhamal Districts in collaboration with the Forest Officers not to destroy the Tiger Habitats and Elephant Habitats in order to keep the Wild Animals healthy and reduce the Human-Animal Conflict.
7. Awareness programmes are being done at a part of Satkosia George Sanctuary in Anugul District of Odisha covering 30 villages adjacent to Kandhamal District.
8. Awareness programmes and knowledge sharing is being done to the Forest-dweller poor community on Carbon Foot-print.
9. Awareness campaigns are being done not to plant Banana trees in forest area and not to disturb the wild animals.
10. Our community members are watching regularly to save a rare species of a big animal called Gaur (seems like wild buffalo) only seen in Kalahandi District of Odisha.
11. Awareness campaigns are done at Kalinga Ghat in conjunction with the local people and the Forest personnel to save the lives of the Monkeys and Apes coming to the Road for food given by the Travelers.
12. Moreover, some of the Tribal people being persuaded by the Forest MAFIAS and Contractors are involved in social crimes like Ganja Cultivation , Poaching wild animals and Cutting the Timbers go to the jail by which the socio-economic condition of the family becomes ruined.
13. The World Environment Day is being celebrated each and every year on 5thh June in collaboration with Save Our Sea, Bangladesh .
14. As regards to the coverage of area, we cover about 32,000 hectors of Forest lands and work for the wild animals in collaboration with our community members.
Generally, the Tribal Communities reside in and out the Forest Area. The Conservation and Management of Forest and Wildlife Habitats mainly depend upon them. If, they want to devastate, no Government or no other forces can check them. Hence, to obtain the whole-hearted support and earnest cooperation of the community, we have taken the following strategies to save the elephants as well as to save their lives:
Awareness campaigns are being done at Rushikulya River mouth and Astarang Sea-shore area of Bay of Bengal to save and protect the Marine Mammals like Shark, Whales, Dolphins and other endangered fish species and Marine Ecosystem. The relation of Blue economy to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the local context of Odisha as the world’s largest bay and the needs of locally-led efforts for blue growth are being discussed. Blue Economy is the new approach of sustainability in which the world acknowledged the role of our Oceans as the Carbon sink stabilizer of global climate, water cycle regulator and the catalyst of economic progress and human well-being. Discussions are being done on UN Sustainable Development Goals 14 and 15 which are very important .that, only a healthy Marine Ecosystem can offer ecosystem goods and services to increasing rate of population. The following activities are under progress and implementation for the Healthy Marine Ecosystem and to provide different Livelihood support to the poor Marine dweller Stake-holder communities:
We are working with the Stakeholder Community to protect and conserve the ecosystem of the “CHILIKA” lagoon at the coastal belt of Bay of Bengal in Odisha State prioritizing on the following aspects:
Climate means to a regular pattern of atmospheric condition that relates to temperature, humidity and environment. The word Climate should not be confused with “weather” because weather is the atmospheric condition of a place at a certain time. In other words weather is the other name of temperature, movement and humidity of Air. Temperature means to the measurement of warmth or coldness of the Air. Season is the average pattern of atmospheric condition of a place over few months. It is caused by the revolution of the earth round the sun. During the year, different parts of the earth’s surface face the sun for different periods of time. These periods are called season and the seasons change after two months. Humidity is the quantity of water vapors in the Air. The weather may change from hour to hour, but the Climate does not. The change in weather is caused by the temperature, movement of air and evaporation of water into vapor. Weather and Seasons are complementary to each other. Combination of the impacts of all seasons is called the Climate where as the seasons change at a duration of 2 months and Climate changes at a duration of 25 to 30 years. Seasons are always controlled by the Climate where as the Climate is mainly controlled by the atmosphere. When atmosphere is polluted, there will be a great impact on the ecosystem on the earth and it will create the Climate change resulting to environmental degradation and a physical change on the earth where all the Living creatures, Living world, Animal kingdom, vegetation world and the Natural resources shall be devastated, even there will be pressure on the Earth which is expected to be destroyed. The most devastating impact of climate change and its negative consequences is on the people in poor countries, even though it is mainly caused by the industrial countries. As a result of Climate change, natural calamities like droughts, floods and cyclones are seen which torture the poor people, destroy crops and hunger becomes more intense. This notion is the inspiration behind the creation which is to be admitted by all. Hence, the perpetual truth is that "what we expect is Climate and what we get is weather”. The Climate change is the consequences of Global warming caused by the increasing rate of population, fast-growing Industrialization and urbanization, use of plastic materials and the destructive actions of Human beings against the earth. Protecting the most important places on Earth is highly necessary because we depend on nature for everything. We often use the nature because of its value; but, unfortunately we lose nature because it is free. Hence, we are trying our level best to preserve the nature and to prevent the detriment and destruction of the natural conditions for the existence of human beings, animals and plants, water, land and the air; guided by the wish that all human beings have secure access to natural resources. We also plan to implement and promote the sustainable development projects in a constructive way which will help to strengthen our ecosystem for preserving the natural environment, green economies, renewable energies and protection of resources, protection of water, forest, air, oceans and climate.
Desertification means to brutal degradation of land, covering a vast area on Earth responsible for creating a dry-land Region with a loss of Humidity, Water bodies, Plants, Vegetations, Grazing grounds, Biodiversities, Fertility and Quality of Soil, Wildlife and Biological Productivity. The region becomes increasingly more deserted and loses its value. In real sense, it is a devastating form of Nature caused by two important factors: such as Climatic variation and destructive human activities. No doubt, it is a significant global ecological and environmental problem where the fertile areas become increasingly more arid due to natural process or induced by human activities like deforestation, defective farming practices, rapid growth of industrialization, Urbanization, overgrazing and variation in climate and Natural disasters like droughts, Floods, Cyclones, Super Cyclones and Tsunamis. There are large pockets of land that are being destroyed through this process. It affects the topsoil, ground water reserves, surface runoff, human beings, animals and birds and the vegetations. Scarcity of water limits the production of crops, grazing ground and other services provided by the ecosystem. So, the people living in dry-land area and depending upon the benefits of ecosystem are more sufferer community and their basic needs for their livelihood management are absolutely inadequate and threatened in the natural process. On the other hand, the quality of soil will deteriorate, farming will be impossible, loss of habitats and there will be scarcity of food, scarcity of water, scarcity of grazing ground and the people will be affected by poverty and hunger. Finally, they will foot out on migration or displacement causing to crowding in other areas, they arrive for rehabilitation. Stripping the land of resources is another misery for the livelihoods of the poor people and those areas may even become uninhabitable. Hence, rehabilitation of deserted land is highly necessary.
Working in such unprecedented situations in the Drought-prone and Cyclone-prone Districts of Odisha State of India and in view of overcoming the above problems, we have thought it wise to take up the following activities to fight against the desertification, restore the Environment for producing Clean Air, Water, improve the Biological products, check the Ecological imbalance and solve all other upcoming problems:
1. Changing the mind set-ups of the common people from inertia to action by means of providing Environmental Education to the stakeholder community and local people on desertification and its effects.
2. We have engaged the members of our Youth Clubs and transformational leaders for adaptation of Subsistence Agriculture technology which is an exceptional outlying technology to control the desertification, providing food security, health security and very useful for the Climate change.
3. Integrated awareness campaigns are under continuation with distribution of posters and leaflets on conservation and worthy utilization of soil, promoting the quality and fertility of soil and changes in management approaches on the importance of soil.
4. We have established Community Funds (money Banks) for Health security, Rice Banks for Food security, Grain Banks and seed Banks for the Cropping security as a token of drought preparedness and to strengthen and for a subsistence livelihood.
5. We have taken up plantation programme and planted more than 2000 different water harvesting trees by help of community participation to promote and strengthen the ecosystem in deserted land.
6. We are providing feed backs to the stakeholder community for integrating the vegetation and water management to protect the soils from erosion and other forms of degradation.
7. We are in regular touch with the stakeholder community for their active engagement and to contribute to the action against the desertification for eradication of their extreme poverty and hunger.
8. Over all, it is the right time to combat the desertification and to fulfill the international and National Agenda for a healthy Environment, healthy Earth and healthy Planet by working at the local context.
No doubt, the Climate is changing and it is changing very fast. In view of this phenomenon, some of the Global visionaries and International Agencies have come to a conclusion attributing the Population growth with a notion of equitable blames. But, in real sense the destructive activity of human beings is the main cause of climate change. People burn fossil fuels and convert land from forests to agriculture. Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, people have burned more and more fossil fuels and changed vast areas of land from forests to farmland. So, Degradation of Environment caused by the pollution of Air, Water and Soil are the major reasons of Climate Change. As to the matter of fact, the combustion of the most intensive fossil fuels is mainly responsible for the increased rate of Carbon Dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere and speedy Climate Change resulting to damage of the planet. The largest quantity of carbon dioxide emissions comes from the combustion of fossil fuels like Coal, Oil and natural Gases that releases energy are commonly turned into Heat, Electricity and Power for transportation, Industries, Power plants, use of Trucks, Buses, Planes and Cars, but alternatively, this action produces the Carbon Dioxide as a byproduct in the atmosphere which is called Green House Gas and its effect makes the Earth warmer. As it appears from a Survey Report, 87% (percent) of all human-produced carbon dioxide emissions come from the burning of fossil fuels where as 9% (percent) comes from degraded Land and Forest. The said survey report also gives a clear picture that, 33.2 Billion Tonnes of Carbon dioxide emissions were observed during the year 2011 worldwide.
Moreover, the maximized rate of human destructive actions like defective use of lands, killing the Biodiversities remaining in land by the use of fertilizers and pesticides in massive scale, urbanization, deforestations, Shifting cultivation, desertification and Forest Fires are also the vital cause of degradation of Environment causing to Climate Change. The time will articulate how long this tyranny of the human beings will continue. In view of the above Global crisis, it is the high time to take appropriate actions to reduce the Carbon emission by adopting different strategies for a resilient Climate. ARASMIN is always around the philosophy that Air is the elixir of life. One can alive without food and water for hours together, but not without Air. It is the synonym of life and accompanies the life from birth to death. As per the Hindu mythological belief, Air is the most essential ingredient for the construction of our body out of the five basic ingredients like Soil, Water, Air, Fire and Atmosphere called the Panchabhuta worshipped as Gods. The life cycles of all living creatures is controlled and accelerated by Air. But, unfortunately the quality of Air is being deteriorated day by day due to the rapid increasing rate of pollution caused by the short-lived Air pollutants like Black Carbon, Methane and Ozone which are responsible for the pre-matured deaths.
In view of this fact, we endorse the Framework of the Climate Change by undertaking the following activities to address the Short-lived Climate Pollutants (SLCPs) from the Air as applicable to our area of operation.
1. Community-based strong awareness and educative-campaigns are under execution on the impacts of the short-lived Climate pollutants, including Methane, Black Carbon and Ozone to reduce the impacts on climate and maintenance of the quality of Air.
2. We have involved the Youth Clubs, our transformational leaders and village volunteers in our activities and they are advised to mobilize the community members to stop the Forest fire, Hunting and Poaching and stop the illegal cutting of trees in our area of operation.
3. We have distributed more than 2000 Smokeless Stoves to our community members and encouraged to use these Smokeless stoves in stead of using the Charcoal and firewood which can protect the concentration of Carbon dioxide in the Atmosphere.
4. We have also distributed more than 400 solar lights arranging from the Government under BPL Scheme for our community members who have left the use of the hazardous Kerosini lamps and its smoke is checked and the potential risk of Climate is managed.
5. By virtue of our regular efforts, there is a green signal to the Environment as the Bricks making in our area by the local people are totally closed and the people are purchasing the Fly-ash Bricks from the Factories for which the burning of Firewood has reduced.
6. We are in regular contact with the CEOs of different Companies and the Industries to control the smokes and Black Carbons produced from their Industries and Factories and adopt the alternatives to save the people and save the planet.
7. We have already adapted the Subsistence Agriculture in our area of operation which is a freedom pattern of cropping with Cow-dung manure, needs no more water, no fertilizer and no pesticides and does not spoils the ecosystem and the fertility of Soil.
8. We have totally stopped the use of Tractors for the cultivation of lands and our Farmers are cultivating their lands by their Bollocks to keep their soil fertile and control the Black carbon. They have already stopped the burning of their unutilized straws in their Crop fields.
9. We are trying to improve the quality of depleted Soil and depleted Water which are highly effective to sink the Carbon Dioxide, check the emissions and maintaining the atmospheric balance.
10. Our people have already been educated on disposal of garbage and animal waste products and putting them in their compost pits, disposal of Carcass by embedding to avoid decomposition and pollution of Air, giving their plastic materials and the unutilized Tyres and Tubes to the companies for recycling.
11. Educative awareness programmes are being done on Conservation and protection of Natural Forests, Environment, Wildlife, and Biodiversities to get clean Air and control the increased rate of Carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere.
12. We are trying our level best to develop the strength of domestic Animal resources, wildlife Animals and Birds and conservation of Wildlife Sanctuaries so as to develop Forest resources and get sufficient Oxygen and support the livelihoods of rural poor.
13. We are working for the Ocean Ecosystem, Marine Ecosystem, Conservation and protection of Lake by which the Global warming is being reduced, Natural Calamities are being controlled and it is helping for the enhancement of the GDP for a better livelihood.
14. We are under the process for revival of Traditional knowledge of the Community members on Herbal Plantation so as to develop the Forest and Environmental conservation and avail its charming benefits.
The State Odisha, in India is more vulnerable and more susceptible for different type of Disasters like Droughts, Floods, Hurricanes, severe Cyclones, super Cyclones and Tsunamis because of the devastating form of Nature and the innocent people are the spent victims of the situation. They do not get shelter to take rest, no foods to take and no cloths to wear. The situation of all the domestic animals and birds becomes very wretched. Hence as a disciplined member of Global Network for Disaster Reduction (GNDR) we are helping the people and the domestic animals by providing the following supports:
1. We have formed Rice Banks, Money Banks, grain Banks and Seed Banks for providing Food Security, Health Security and Financial Security to face the Drought Situations, other upcoming situations and to challenge the upcoming hazards.
2. We have formed Quick Response Teams in our area of operation with the support of the stakeholder communities to rescue the affected persons and to assist the victims of the situation.
3. Arranging shelters, Reliefs, Cloths and medicines for the affected community in order to face their Hunger pangs and sufferings and shelter and Foods for the domestic animals.
4. Providing medicines and sanitary measures with the help of the concerned Departments and taking the care of the affected communities.
5. Making lobby and advocacy at District administrations for providing the minimum facility for the affected communities to challenge the problems and to get rid of the Disaster situation.
6. Mobilizing the district Chief Functionaries of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services for supply of Cattle Feeds and Poultry Feeds for the affected domestic animals and birds and for inoculation against different contagious Diseases.
No doubt, the Subsistence Agricultural Production (Ecological Agriculture) is definitely a Lively-hood support alternative opportunity, generally adopted by the people in Tribal belt. Lack of livelihood support opportunity may be the major reason of degradation of natural resources when Ecology works to promote sustainable agriculture, non-timber forest products and community enterprise.
So these alternative opportunities improve the individuals and poor Community well-beings. Hence, it is advisable for the Community members to have this Subsistence Agricultural Farming and production that saves the lives of the Tribal people as well as keeps the Planet healthy. Subsistence Agriculture is also for elimination of Poverty and Hunger if the Nature-based Solutions are adopted. The crop is Eco-friendly, Climate friendly, Climate resilient, Climate smart, Carbon smart, Water smart and Energy smart. The details of the advantages and opportunities of subsistence Agriculture are mentioned hereunder:
Conservation and Restoration of Mangrove Forest is a unique activity to save the Planet, to save the People, save the wild Animals and Birds. In view of this phenomenon, we have taken an effort to work on this sector and it is continuing since long. We are working diligently near the Wildlife Sanctuary Bhitar Kanika: in the District of Kendrapada under Odisha State in India adjacent to Bay of Bengal in east. Our activities are based upon conservation, Protection and Restoration of Mangroves to strengthen the Ocean Ecosystem to avail lots of benefits out of which the major benefits are mentioned below:
1. Saving and protecting the people from different devastating Natural Calamities like Floods, Hurricanes, Cyclones, Super Cyclones and Tsunamis and providing sustainable lively-hood support like Food Security, Financial Security, Health security and Social security.
2. To check the impacts of the Sea in shape of Sea level rise, Global warming, reducing the Temperature, Soil erosion, increased Salinity and Tidal inundations towards the resilience.
3. Providing shelter to Wild Animals, Birds, Fish, Crabs, Turtles, Oyster shell, Crunch Shell, migratory Birds and Olive Ridley Turtles for a subsistence lively-hood.
4. Strengthening the Environment and the Ecosystem for sequestering Carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to save the Planet by enacting on Climate Change, Climate resilience and promoting the Biodiversities and Vegetations.
Conservation of water is a broad concept that relates to River, Ponds, Lake, Ocean and Rainfall. But, in deeper sense, conservation is the worthy use of water to save all living beings beginning from vegetation to Human beings including the Environment and Ecosystem. Water is the second supreme ingredient on the construction of Human Body next to Earth as per mythological belief and treated as the baseline element and the elixir of life. Hence, it is contemplated to have the sustainable management of this most precious gift of Nature to save all the living beings on this Earth and to save the Planet. Hence, we need the water with sanitary measures to lead a healthy life and healthy survival. In view of the above fact we have taken the following strategies:
1. Creation of educative Stakeholder s Forums like Village Water Bodies, Block level Water Bodies and Regional Water Bodies and formation of Networks to obtain the Community participation and trans-boundary cooperation.
2. We are Involving the women mass in the project activities as the women mass are very sensitive and play a descriptive role for careful management of water which prioritizes on Gender sensitization.
3. We have created of some Transformational Village Leaders for collaborative support and cooperation, mobilizing for water resource conservation and wider spread of our activities in social media.
4. Restoration of Water reservoirs and mini ponds in the Jungle and near the Rivers for the Wildlife animals to be used during the summer season and Creation of underground Water Recharge points through water Recharge system.
5. Plantation of different water harvesting trees in the Jungle like Banyan Trees, Cadam trees, Tamarind Trees and Pierre etc.
6. Repairing artificial reservoirs (CHUAN) for the regular use of Tribal community and providing sanitation measures to save their lives.
7. Preservation of water through Cultural dependence and to improve their Spiritual power as the life of the Tribal people is based on Culture.
8. Periodical Awareness campaigns through Network meetings, posters, leaflets, Wall paintings, Street theatres and Audio-visual shows to educate the Citizens and solution finding programs through Conferences, Seminars and Workshops.
9. Providing integral education to the Stakeholder Community, School Teachers and Students on different aspect of water and sanitation and that preservation of water is the great indicator of Development and water is the life of all living beings.
Copyright ©2020 ARASMIN All rights reserved | Designed by Versatile IT Services PVT.LTD.